quinta-feira, 10 de março de 2011

• "New hands be found to lift the burden"

During the time I have been in government, I have negleted things I shouldn't have negleted. I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to some important question that were afecting South Africe in that time. I was, of course, very proud I had reached the top of my ambitions and have finished the Apartheid system. However, not everything was good. My governtment was accused of inactivity in what concerns to AIDS fight. My government ceased its funstions in 1999, and then I realised I could have done more. Since then I've started a series of campaings against AIDS spreading and many awareness raising to collect funds to support AIDS affected peolpe. The name I gave to this "foudation" was 46664, that, as you already know was my prisoner number. This sad reality has touched me personaly too. My son, Makgatho Mandela died in 2005 with AIDS complications. I don't speak just as an international leader and personality, I speak also as a father and a relative of someone who lived close to AIDS. As we couldn't yet find the cure, it's important to provide means to countries were this illness is a big epidemic. We need to help people and act, mainly in prevention.
"New hands be found to lift the burden."
"I announce that my son has died of AIDS. Let us give publicity to HIV/AIDS and not hide it, because the only way to make it appear like a normal illness like [tuberculosis], like cancer, is always to come out and to say somebody has died because of HIV/AIDS. And people will stop regarding it as something extraordinary"

- 46664 Foundation: http://www.46664.com/

2 comentários:

  1. Unfortunately AIDS is affecting more and more people, specially in poor developing countries. I hope one day this nightmare end to millions of people who suffer everyday with this awfull disease.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. One of the ways of transmission of this disease is by sexual means and as said Ariana affect poor developing countries because there is no means of contraception ...

    ResponderEliminar